Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesdays

Daily Specs:

Attainable Goal - Finish birth announcements (glue insides together, stuff envelopes, adhere addresses and postage).
Grievance - Wednesdays cannot be longer.
Celebration - I made it to church tonight.

Wednesdays are my favourite days of the week. As a rule, Wednesdays are a bit of a drag for the average Joe. It isn't then beginning of the week, which can be attacked with a fresh-from-the-weekend fervor, and it isn't nearly as close to Friday as it should be. Wednesday is that lukewarm middle ground that leaves everyone wanting more. I love Wednesdays. It is the only day that Big Love has off of work.

Big Love has one of those jobs that keep him occupied at odd hours, for long-winded days, 6 days a week. While that kind of work sounds dreadful to me, he seems to truly love it. I applaud him for his desire, and for his amazing talent in his chosen field, and I am SO very glad he is able to do what he loves so much. Even though I am sure he would prefer to have more hours to himself, his family, and his nights of sleep, he is a trooper who never complains. And even though I would like to be able to see him more, his career is an amazing opportunity for him and for our family. I am able to stay at home with our kids while they are small, and perhaps have a small bearing on the child-rearing.

So his one day off is like Christmas for us. We do our usual lazy puttering around the house all morning, but on Wednesday it includes a big breakfast. After naptime, we then find something to do. Today we took a family trip to the grocery store. Our grocery store trip almost made it to my Celebration of the day, due to the fact that I thought it was so fun. Since Baby Love's arrival, I have only been able to make it to the store once on my own with the boys, and that effort took 2 hours and all of the life-juice out of me. Not so much today. We laughed, we cried, we shed blood, sweat and tears. Actually, we just laughed. It is an amazing thing to laugh on a grocery store trip. It makes the monotonous (and often frustrating) tasks so much more enjoyable. With a very active Boy Love in the basket of the shopping cart, trying to open/eat every package, or poke Baby Love's eyes, or spring from the confines of his rolling metal prison, having a friend there to laugh with you makes for a much more desirable shopping experience. I didn't even cry in the car on the way across the street to our apartment. Big Love has a truly amazing effect on my spirit. Like Exedrin. Or some other illicit drug equivalent to a happy pill that I am unaware of.

I am now at home, Boy Love in bed, Baby Love asleep in his moses basket, and Big Love and I are on our respective computers, taking turns playing our move on online Scrabble and exchanging smart-aleck comments to one another. This is the life. I have pleasantly sleeping children, a husband who mocks me, teases me, and loves me, and the ability to enjoy the precious moments we are able to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment